Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Out of Order, Chaos.

My old me would come back from a trip with the neatest suitcases, ready to be unloaded immediately, because everything had it's place. I have been home a day and some hours and my bags are still by the door. I need help!

What has happened? I keep cleaning out closets and storage, and people keep moving more stuff in...and I just shove my stuff aside to a place where it's almost inaccessible. I can't find my stuff, the stuff that makes my life mine, that makes my life work...it's under other people's stuff!

You have to understand I RARELY, if ever, buy anything...I have all this stuff, and it's very nice and I am thankful for it, but very little of it is originally mine. Some of it I needed and it came at just the right time, but alot of it I was just too nice to turn away.

It's like other people's out of control lives have taken over my space and now my space is out of control...

The stuff is just the material symbol of what is going on inside of me...other people have moved their lives into mine. I have let them! Not because they meant harm, most did not. I have not established boudaries. Not because I am a people pleaser, but because I am non combative; fighting for my rights makes me weary, and so I just don't do it.

I used to stand up for myself, but my voice was not powerful enough. Other voices were louder. So I picked up my bags and moved on. That is what I do. If a situation gets too uncomfortable, I leave. It's how I learned to live...My family left Cuba, for very good reasons, but after leaving your country and family once, with all the anxiety and pain of that, leaving became easy. I left my first marriage. I left the town where I grew up. I have left again and again.

But this time is different. A. I can't really leave. B. I don't really want to. In this chaos there is stuff I love, not to mention people I love...

I eat to feel better, to silence the screaming emotional chaos in me. I have created an inner pack rat of pain and hidden angst. Externally she weighs 70 lbs. more than she should.

So the outer chaos is the picture of the inner chaos. The inner chaos is a woman who has had too much stuff happen to her in too little time, and who has hidden, but wants to come out and BE. She doesn't want to take anything from anyone. She just wants to be. And to be allowed to be. And not be edited, critiqued, changed, suspected, misunderstood, or treated badly. She wants to learn how to stop allowing people to treat her badly, yet keep her integrity and kindness. She doesn't want to learn how to be manipulative. She doesn't want to be a star. She just wants to thrive in who she is. She wants to be ME.

Life has dismantled me. I want to find the pieces and put me back together. Or find new pieces that are even better. But they have to be MY pieces, the ones God gives ME. Not the ones everyone else wants me to use...

The process, and for sure, the end result, must be authentic.

2 comments:

  1. Sadly, the church sooo does not really allow us to BE.
    We must always be thinking about how to "SAVE" others, literally. And I am weary from that whole thinking. we need to be saved on a daily basis. We can't save anyone.
    I sooo hear you..And you are on burn out,, and you have to move from this place, but only by making the commitment and the connection it will take to do so. The pull is too much, the pull to make us conform, the pull to not be US, because that would be selfish, afterall...it is selfish to take care of YOU to take care of US>
    I totally Get the thing about our stuff.
    I have no stuff left. It would be interesting for you to imagine, you have no stuff, and try and see who you are outside of even yoru STUFF.
    WE love our stuff, WE are NESTERS. We just wanted a nice home, not fancy, we wanted HOME. and now we must create HOME For ourselves.
    HOME for YOU. You need to COME HOME TO YOURSELF..that just hit me...I lvoe that. I soo love that. That is you Geri, you must find that place of HOME even outside of your stuff and your belongings, find YOU, and live in your HOME.
    You know who she is..She is loving, smart, caring, compassionate, brilliant, sooo dedicated, so holy, so very commited to CHRIST. you are such a lovely vessel, and now you need to fill it with your LVOE for YOU.
    Loveyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes...who we are is totally outside our 'stuff', as you have found out...yet we want to hold on to all these mementoes..
    And if we place this here and that there all will be lovely and we will be ok...nope, really doesn't work that way, and I think that is what God has been showing us!
    We DO have to come home to ourselves INSIDE, and then the outside falls into place (but that takes work too.)
    Yes, it is easier to not look at what is hurting and not do the work...and focus on others, at least it is for me...
    so enough of that!
    This is what i wrote on my big sheet at your retreat:
    I am Geri &
    I am Hope &
    I am tough & tender
    Aristocratic & playful
    Exotic & American

    And I know I am much more than that and I have to save me!
    Thanks for being there, Carolyn. Always a smile away.

    ReplyDelete